Powerplant: 1 × Rolls-Royce Vulture II X-24 liquid-cooled piston engine, 1,760 hp (1,310 kW)
or 1x 1,980 hp (1,476 kW) Rolls-Royce Vulture V
or 1x 2,210 hp (1,648 kW) Bristol Centaurus CE 4S
Propellers: 3-bladed de Havilland Hydromatic constant-speed propeller, 14 ft 0 in (4.27 m) diameter
Maximum speed: 398 mph (641 km/h, 346 kn) at 23,000 ft (7,010 m) (Vulture V)
Service ceiling: 34,900 ft (10,600 m)
Time to altitude: 20,000 ft (6,100 m) in 7 minutes 12 seconds
Wing loading: 37.7 lb/sq ft (184 kg/m2)
Power/mass: 0.1858 hp/lb (0.3055 kW/kg)
Guns: Provision for 12 × .303 in (7.7 mm) Browning machine guns (1st prototype P5219) or 4 × 20 mm Hispano cannon. (2nd and Centaurus prototypes P5224, HG641).
TR 9 VHF R/T fitted (P5224)
The Hawker Tornado was a British single-seat fighter aircraft design of World War II for the Royal Air Force as a replacement for the Hawker Hurricane.
The planned production of Tornados was cancelled after the engine it was designed to use, the Rolls-Royce Vulture, proved unreliable in service.
In order to avoid upsetting the Hurricane lines, production was sub-contracted to Avro (another company in the Hawker group) in Manchester and Cunliffe-Owen Aircraft in Eastleigh, with orders for 1,760 and 200 respectively being placed in 1939.
However, only one of these aircraft, from Avro, was ever built and flown, this being R7936.
Shortly after its first flight at Woodford, on 29 August 1941, the Vulture program was abandoned, followed closely by the cancellation of the Tornado order.
At that time four aircraft were at various stages of production at the Avro plant at Yeadon, West Yorkshire.