The Caproni Ca.90 was a prototype Italian heavy bomber designed and built by Caproni.
When it first flew in 1929 it was the largest aircraft in the world.
A six-engined inverted sesquiplane, the Caproni Ca.90 was designed as a heavy bomber and first flew in 1929.
It had two tandem pairs of 1,000 hp (746 kW) Isotta Fraschini Asso 1000 W-18 inline piston engines mounted above the lower wing, each pair driving a four-bladed pusher and a two-bladed tractor propeller.
Another pair of engines was mounted above the fuselage.
Only one Ca.90 was built.
Although the Dornier Do X flying boat that flew later in 1929 had a larger wingspan and weight, the Caproni Ca.90 remained the largest landplane until the arrival of the Tupolev ANT-20 in 1934.
Length: 26.95 m (88 ft 5 in)
Upper wingspan: 34.90 m (114 ft 6 in)
Lower wingspan: 46.60 m (152 ft 11 in)
Height: 10.80 m (35 ft 5 in)
Wing area: 496.60 m2 (5,345.4 sq ft)
Empty weight: 15,000 kg (33,069 lb)
Max takeoff weight: 30,000 kg (66,139 lb)
Power plant: 6 × Isotta Fraschini Asso 1000 W-18 water-cooled inline piston engines, 750 kW (1,000 hp) each
Maximum speed: 205 km/h (127 mph, 111 kn)
Range: 1,290 km (800 mi, 700 nmi)
Endurance: 7 hours
Service ceiling: 4,500 m (14,700 ft)
Guns: 12 defensive machine-guns
Bombs: 8,000 kg (18,000 lb)
Aeroplani Caproni: Gianni Caproni and His Aircraft, 1910-1983–Rosario Abate, Gregory Alegi, Giorgio Apostolo