The Caproni Ca.316 was a reconnaissance seaplane produced in Italy during World War II, intended for catapult operations from Italian Navy capital ships.
It was a member of the large family of Caproni designs derived from the Ca.306 airliner prototype of 1935, and more directly a modification of the Ca.310 Idro seaplane.
The basic Ca.310 design was modified with the attachment of large pontoons carried underneath the engine nacelles on streamlined pylons, and a revised nose with extensive glazing on the ventral surface.
14 examples were built, but none entered service.
Length: 12.89 m (42 ft 3 in)
Wingspan: 15.87 m (52 ft 1 in)
Height: 5.11 m (16 ft 9 in)
Wing area: 38.0 m2 (409 sq ft)
Empty weight: 4,000 kg (8,820 lb)
Gross weight: 4,804 kg (10,590 lb)
Power plant: 2 × Piaggio P.VII radial engine , 460 kW (616 hp) each
Maximum speed: 328 km/h (205 mph, 178 kn)
Range: 1,600 km (1,000 mi, 870 nmi)
Service ceiling: 6,000 m (19,680 ft)
1 × 7.7 mm (.303 in) Breda-SAFAT machine gun
400 kg (882 lb) of bombs
Italian Civil and Military Aircraft 1930-1945-Jonathan Thompson
Aeroplani Caproni: Gianni Caproni and His Aircraft, 1910-1983–Rosario Abate, Gregory Alegi, Giorgio Apostolo