The CAC Wackett trainer was the first aircraft type designed in-house by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation of Australia.
The name was derived from its designer Lawrence Wackett.
The Wackett served primarily as wireless trainers with No. 1 Wireless Air Gunnery School (WAGS) at Ballarat, Victoria No. 2 WAGS at Parkes, New South Wales; and No. 3 WAGS at Maryborough, Queensland, but also as an initial dual flying trainer with ; 1 Elementary Flying Training School at Tamworth, New South Wales; 3 Elementary Flying Training School at Essendon, Victoria; ; 11 Elementary Flying Training School at Benalla, Victoria; and No. 5 Operational Training Unit at Tocumwal, New South Wales.
It also served at several other Empire Air Training Scheme establishments in Australia. About one-third of the 200 aircraft were written-off during the type’s service with the RAAF and after the end of World War II the remaining aircraft were withdrawn from use and sold to civilian individuals and organisations.
About thirty aircraft were subsequently re-sold to the Netherlands East Indies Air Force and the survivors of these were transferred to the nascent Indonesian Air Force at independence, although it is thought that they did not see further use.
Several dozen more were placed on the Australian civil register.
Length: 7.92 m (26 ft 0 in)
Wingspan: 11.28 m (37 ft 0 in)
Height: 3.0 m (9 ft 10 in)
Empty weight: 866 kg (1,910 lb)
Gross weight: 1,175 kg (2,590 lb)
Powerplant: 1 × Warner Scarab , 130 kW (175 hp)
Maximum speed: 185 km/h (115 mph, 100 kn)
Range: 684 km (425 mi, 369 nmi)
Aircraft and Markings of the R.A.A.F. 1939-45 vol 1-Geoffrey Pentland
Aircraft and Markings of the R.A.A.F. 1939-45 vol 2-Geoffrey Pentland
RAAF Museum, Point Cook, Victoria, Australia
Wirraway and Boomerang Markings- Geoffrey Pentland