The Avia B-34 was a biplane fighter aircraft built in Czechoslovakia in the early 1930s.
It was the first design of František Novotný for the Avia company and although built only in small numbers, it paved the way for the Avia B-534.
The twelve production B-34s entered service with the 37 Stíhací Letka (fighter squadron) of the Czechoslovakian Air Force in September 1934.
They were retired to training duties in 1937. Despite inferior overall performance and some unpopularity, the aircraft was robust.
Until the end of the First Czechoslovak Republic in March 1939.
Eight of the B-34s were handed over to the German Luftwaffe when the Czechoslovakian state ceased to exist in March 1939.
At least three were soon lost in crashes and it is likely that the others were retired from use rather than being used for training purposes.
The remaining three B-34s were retained by the new Slovenské vzdušné zbrane (Slovakian Air Force).
One, perhaps two of these were still being used for training at Tri Duby airfield (today called Sliač Airport) in August 1944.
They then effectively became part of the Kombinovaná letka (combined squadron) of the Slovak Insurgent Air Force during the Slovak National Uprising against the Germans in September 1944.
There is no evidence of them being used in combat at this time and if they survived the uprising they were almost certainly among the aircraft destroyed by the Slovaks before they left the airfield after the failure of the uprising.
B-34.1, First prototype, flew Feb 1932
B-34.2 Second prototype, re-designated B-234 with Avia Rr 29 engine, then again as B-34.2 with Hispano-Suiza 12Ybrs engine, re-designated Avia B-534.1.