In 1933, the Command of the Yugoslav Royal Air Force decided to replace their outdated aircraft with modern aircraft.
The FP-1 single-engine, two-seater biplane prototype became the basis for the FP-2 production models.
This was used for transitional training from basic to combat training.
In 1933, the command of the Yugoslav Royal Air Force (YRAF) decided to replace outdated planes with modern school aircraft, for transitional training from basic training to combat.
Zmaj Factory designed a prototype biplane, Fizir FP-1, in 1933 for transitional pilot training, but it did not satisfy all the requirements set by the YRAF.
As a result, aircraft designers and engineers, Rudolf Fizir and Dušan Stankov, made adjustments to the Fizir FP-1 and so the plane became the, Zmaj Fizir FP-2.
The designers opted for the concept aircraft biplane, although the YRAF preferred an aircraft with one low wing (due to the development of modern combat aircraft).
In the end, the concept of a new transitional school aircraft was accepted.
Prototype Zmaj Fizir FP-2 (Fizir Prelazni) with a 300 kW (400 hp) Gnome-Rhône 7K engine was completed and test flown at the end of 1933.
More test flights followed, and by 1934 the aircraft showed good results.
Zmaj modified the FP-2 during 1934 using a 235 kW (315 hp) Walter Pollux II engine, but the results were not satisfactory.
The Zmaj Fizir FP-2 was a two-seater single-engine biplane aircraft, with air-cooled, 7-cylinder radial engine (Gnome-Rhone K-7 308 kW), and a pair of struts on each side.
It had flaps on the upper and lower wings.
Landing gear is fixed to a shaft, and deployment uses a rubber rope.
Fuselage and wings were wood covered with canvas.
The aircraft represented a classical two-seater, two wings, solid wood construction and polished aerodynamic shape, easy to fly, stable and reliable aircraft that is largely insensitive to pilot errors.