The Naval Aircraft Factory TS-1 was an early biplane fighter aircraft of the United States Navy, serving from 1922 to 1929.
It was powered by a 200 hp Lawrance J-1 air-cooled radial engine and had a boxy fuselage suspended between the upper and lower wings.
Curtiss developed two all-metal versions of the aircraft, F4C-1s, which were armed with two.30 in (7.62 mm) machine guns and powered by a 200 hp nine-cylinder Wright J-3 radial.
The TS-1s served for several years in floatplane configuration aboard destroyers, cruisers, and battleships, but were not universally liked by its crews due to short wheel struts and their placement close to each other.
Naval Aircraft Factory TS-1
Two built, 240 hp (180 kW) Aeromarine engine.
Two built, 180 hp (130 kW) Wright-Hispano E engine.
One built, TS-3 modified by changing the airfoil section on the wings for the 1922 Curtiss Marine Trophy race.
All metal versions for comparison to the original wood and wire construction; two built.