Close this search box.
/ Letov S-4
The S-4 was first created in 1922 as an intended successor to the SPAD S.VII and S.XIII, For service with the newly created Czechoslovak Air Force.
It first flew in 1922, with fabric-covered wooden wings and a metal fuselage and tail.
The Czechoslovak Air Force ordered 20 Š-4s in 1922 and these were delivered in early 1923.
The plane lived out the 1920s as a fighter and trainer, but by 1927 difficulties were being experienced due to the low manufacturing quality of the SH-4.
As a result, all remaining SH-4s were upgraded to SH-4a trainer aircraft in 1928.
20 aircraft were built.
6.58 m (21 ft 7 in)
8 m (26 ft 3 in)
2.62 m (8 ft 7 in)
15.9 m2 (171 sq ft)
673 kg (1,484 lb)
980 kg (2,161 lb)
1 × Hispano-Suiza 8Ba,
V-8 water-cooled piston engine,
160 kW (220 hp)
2-bladed wooden fixed pitch propeller
232 km/h (144 mph, 125 kn)
6,200 m (20,300 ft)
Time to altitude
3,000 m (9,800 ft) in 9.3 minutes
61.5 kg/m2 (12.6 lb/sq ft)
0.16 kW/kg (0.1 hp/lb)
2 x synchronized 7.7 mm (0.303 in) Vickers machine-guns.
Share on facebook
Follow us on