Close this search box.
/ Hawker Hedgehog
The Hawker Hedgehog was a three-seat reconnaissance biplane, to be used for naval scouting, produced to meet Air Ministry Specification 37/22.
It was designed in 1923, and had its first flight the next year, piloted by F. P. Raynham.
The crew consisted of the pilot, an observer and an air gunner.
Its construction was typical of the period: a wooden structure covered with fabric.
The powerplant was a nine-cylinder Bristol Jupiter IV radial engine driving a two-bladed wooden propeller.
While testing was successful, on completion of the flight tests, the project was cancelled.
This was due to the Hedgehog’s performance not being sufficiently better than the existing aircraft used for naval reconnaissance, the Avro Bison and Blackburn Blackburn.
Consequently, only one prototype was built.
The armament of the aircraft was one fixed forward-firing .303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers gun and one .303 in (7.7 mm) Lewis gun on a Scarff ring in the rear cockpit.
The aircraft was fitted with floats that contained wheels to enable use as an amphibian.
The wings could be folded, so that the width was reduced to 16 ft 7½ in (4.87 m) for storage.
30 ft 8+3⁄4 in (9.366 m)
40 ft 0+1⁄2 in (12.205 m)
16 ft 7+1⁄2 in (5.067 m) (wings folded)
12 ft 6 in (3.81 m)
480.7 sq ft (44.66 m2)
2,995 lb (1,359 kg)
4,791 lb (2,173 kg)
Max take-off weight
4,800 lb (2,177 kg) (overload)
134 imp gal (161 US gal; 610 L)
1 × Bristol Jupiter IV,
9-cylinder radial engine,
398 hp (297 kW)
120.5 mph (193.9 km/h, 104.7 kn) at sea level
89 mph (143 km/h, 77 kn)
45 mph (72 km/h, 39 kn) with flaps
Endurance: 2.5 hr
13,500 ft (4,100 m)
Time to altitude
23 min 59 s to 10,000 ft (3,000 m)
1 × 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers machine gun
1 × 0.303 in Lewis gun on a Scarff ring.
Share on facebook
Follow us on