/ Fokker F.XXII
Developed as a smaller version of the Fokker F.XXXVI the F.XXII is a high-wing cantilever monoplane with a fixed tail wheel landing gear.
It was powered by four Pratt & Whitney Wasp radial piston engines mounted in the wing leading edge.
The first aircraft registered PH-AJP first flew in 1935, and was followed by two production aircraft all for KLM.
A fourth aircraft was built for the Swedish airline AB Aerotransport.
One KLM aircraft crashed in July 1935 and the other two continued in service until August 1939, when they were sold to British American Air Services and Scottish Aviation in the United Kingdom.
A month later the British American Air Services aircraft was also acquired by Scottish Aviation as a navigation trainer.
In October 1941, they were both impressed into service with the Royal Air Force and used as transports and crew trainers.
21.52 m (70 ft 7.25 in)
30 m (98 ft 5 in)
4.60 m (15 ft 1.25 in)
8,100 kg (17,857 lb)
13,000 kg (28,660 lb)
4 × Pratt & Whitney Wasp T1D1 9-cylinder radial piston , 373 kW (500 hp) each
285 km/h (177 mph, 154 kn)
1,350 km (839 mi, 729 nmi)
4,900 m (16,075 ft).
Share on facebook
Follow us on