The Fokker C.VIII was a reconnaissance aircraft built in the Netherlands in the late 1920s.
Intended primarily for the photographic reconnaissance role, it was a larger machine than other Fokker reconnaissance types of the period, with space for a third crew member, who acted as camera operator.
It was also Fokker’s first aircraft of this type to be built as a monoplane, a parasol wing configuration.
The construction, however, was in the familiar Fokker style with wooden wings covered with plywood and fabric, and a steel-tube fuselage, also fabric-covered.
A single prototype was built and after exhibition at the 1928 Paris Air Show was accepted into Royal Netherlands Army Aviation Group service, but no further orders for the type were placed.
The following year, the Royal Netherlands Navy issued a requirement for a new reconnaissance seaplane, and Fokker submitted a revised version of the C.VIII.
Slightly larger than its landplane counterpart, the C.VIII-W had a different engine, a new radiator arrangement, and twin pontoons as undercarriage, units similar to those used previously on the C.VII.
The pontoon strutting incorporated a gap, allowing for the carriage of a torpedo under the fuselage for training purposes.
Landplane with Hispano-Suiza 12Lb engine (1 built)
Seaplane with Lorraine 12E Courlis engine (9 built)