Fairey Aviation Company Limited
/ Fairey Seal
The Fairey Seal was a British carrier borne spotter reconnaissance aircraft, operated in the 1930s.
The Seal was derived, like the Gordon, from the IIIF.
To enable the Fairey Seal to be launched by catapult from warships, it could be fitted with floats.
The Seal entered squadron service with the Fleet Air Arm in 1933.
The Seal was removed from frontline British service by 1938, but remained in secondary and support roles.
By the outbreak of the Second World War, only four remained in service.
The type was retired fully by 1943.
The type was last used in India as an instructional airframe from the Royal Navy Photographic Unit.
The RAF also operated the Seal as a target tug.
Twelve aircraft were part of the RAF’s No 10 Bombing and Gunnery School until 1940.
A further four aircraft were used by 273 Squadron in Ceylon.
These aircraft were used on coastal patrols, some as floatplanes.
By May 1942, the type had been retired from RAF service.
In 1934 Latvia ordered four Seal floatplanes for its naval aviation.
Fairey IIIF Mk VI
The first prototype was converted from a Fairey IIIF MK IIIB.
Three seat spotter-reconnaissance aircraft for the Royal Navy.
33 ft 8 in (10.26 m)
45 ft 9 in (13.94 m)
12 ft 9 in (3.89 m)
443.5 sq ft (41.20 m2)
6,000 lb (2,722 kg)
1 × Armstrong Siddeley Panther IIA 14-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engine, 525 hp (391 kW)
2-bladed fixed-pitch propeller
138 mph (222 km/h, 120 kn)
4 hours 30 minutes
17,000 ft (5,200 m)
Time to altitude
5,000 ft (1,524 m) in 5 minutes 20 seconds
1 fixed forward-firing .303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers machine gun
.303 in (7.7 mm) Lewis Gun in rear cockpit
500 lb (230 kg) or stores carried under lower wings.
Share on facebook
Follow us on