The Curtiss XA-14 was a 1930s United States airplane, the first multi-engine attack aircraft tested by the United States Army Air Corps.
Carrying a crew of two, it was as fast as the standard pursuit aircraft in service at the time.
Originally built as an in-house venture as the Curtiss Model 76, powered by two experimental Wright XR-1510 radial engines, flight testing was sufficiently impressive that after the USAAC appraisal the Model 76 was returned to Curtiss and fitted with two 775 hp (578 kW) Wright R-1670-5 Whirlwind engines with two-position variable-pitch propellers.
This configuration was accepted by the Army with the designation XA-14.
It had standard Army markings with the serial number 36-146.
The Model 76 was of all-metal construction with an oval section semi-monocoque fuselage, described as “pencil slim”.
The XA-14 was extensively tested, at one stage being fitted with a 37 mm (1.457 in) cannon in the nose.
In July 1936, 13 developed versions, re-engined with two 850 hp (630 kW) Wright R-1820-47 Cyclone 9-cylinder radials, were ordered into production as the Y1A-18.