Caproni - Società Italiana Caproni
/ Caproni Ca.164
The Caproni Ca.164 was a training biplane produced in Italy shortly prior to World War II.
It was a largely conventional biplane intended as a follow-on to the Ca.100 and sharing that aircraft’s layout with a slightly smaller upper wing.
The prototype was designated the Ca.163, built by Caproni Taliedo and first flown on 17 November 1938.
It had a steel tube fuselage, wooden wings, and fabric covering.
Flight testing revealed some poor handling characteristics, however, which made it completely unsuitable for its intended role.
Nevertheless, the Regia Aeronautica acquired some 280 examples of the Ca.164 to use in liaison roles within bomber units.
Some of these were pressed into use for tactical reconnaissance during the Croatian campaign.
The Armée de l’Air also purchased 100 aircraft.
7.74 m (25 ft 4 in)
9.75 m (32 ft 0 in)
3.00 m (9 ft 10 in)
22.4 m2 (241 sq ft)
850 kg (1,874 lb)
1,175 kg (2,590 lb)
1 × Alfa Romeo 115 , 138 kW (185 hp)
230 km/h (143 mph, 124 kn)
530 km (329 mi, 286 nmi)
4,200 m (13,780 ft)
Rate of climb
3.6 m/s (708 ft/min).
Share on facebook
Follow us on