Close this search box.
Caproni - Società Italiana Caproni
/ Caproni Ca.101 & Ca.102
Caproni Ca.101 & Ca.102
The Caproni Ca.101 was a three-engine Italian airliner which later saw military use as a transport and bomber.
It was designed in 1927 and first flown in 1928.
The Regia Aeronautica ordered 72 Ca.101 and 34 Ca.102.
Though the Ca.102 was more advanced, only the Ca.101 served in the Second Italo-Abyssinian War.
In 1939, the Regia Aeronautica retired their Ca.101’s.
The Ca.102’s were retired before that, possibly because the twin-engine layout gave less overall reliability.
Slightly larger and with more powerful engines designed for colonial service.
Ca.101 airframe with two Bristol Jupiter engines
Ca.102 with four engines.
1,500 kg (3,300 lb) of cargo
13.5 m (44 ft 4 in)
18.8 m (61 ft 8 in)
3.6 m (11 ft 10 in)
52 m2 (560 sq ft)
2,450 kg (5,390 lb)
3,950 kg (8,690 lb)
3 × Alfa Romeo licence-built Armstrong Siddeley Lynx , 149 kW (200 hp) each
210 km/h (130 mph, 110 kn)
1,000 km (621 mi, 540 nmi)
5,000 m (16,400 ft)
Rate of climb
2.6 m/s (512 ft/min)
2 × 7.7 mm (.303 in) Lewis Guns in the nose and ventral position.
There was sometimes a twin forward installation and a dorsal defensive turret mounted.
250 × 2 kg (4.4 lb)
40 × 12 kg (26.4 lb) bombs carried internally.
Share on facebook
Follow us on