CANT Z.501 Gabbiano

1st Flight 1934

The CANT Z.501 Gabbiano was a high-wing central-hull flying boat, with two outboard floats.

It was powered by a single engine installed in the middle of the main-plane and had a crew of 4–5 men.

It served with the Italian Regia Aeronautica during World War II, as a reconnaissance aircraft.

During its debut in 1934, it set a world distance record.

It was obsolete by 1940, but was still used throughout World War II, suffering many losses.

A few remained in service with the Regia Aeronautica until 1948.

Specifications

Crew

4-5

Length

14.3 m (46 ft 11 in)

Wingspan

22.5 m (73 ft 10 in)

Height

4.4 m (14 ft 5 in)

Wing area

62.00 m2 (667.4 sq ft)

Empty weight

3,850 kg (8,488 lb)

Max take-off weight

7,050 kg (15,543 lb)

Powerplant

1 × Isotta Fraschini Asso XI R.2C.15 , 656 kW (880 hp)

Propellers

3-bladed metal propeller

Performance

Maximum speed

275 km/h (171 mph, 148 kn) at 2,499 m (8,200 ft)

Cruise speed

240 km/h (150 mph, 130 kn) at 1,999 m (6,560 ft)

Range

999 km (621 mi, 539 nmi)

Ferry range

2,398 km (1,490 mi, 1,295 nmi)

Armament

Guns

3 × 7.7 mm (0.303 in) Breda-SAFAT machine guns (initially Vickers), but many had only two when the nose position was removed

Bombs

640 kg (1,400 lb) carried externally.

Share on facebook

Share on facebook