The twin-engined CANT Z.1011 was a bomber designed by Filippo Zappata in the mid-1930s.
The CANT Z.1011 was a low wing cantilever monoplane with a wooden structure.
The wings had three wooden spars, spruce and plywood ribs and plywood covering.
The whole trailing edge was occupied by ailerons and inboard flaps.
The fuselage was flat sided with plywood covering.
The tail plane, placed on top of the fuselage, was braced to it with pairs of parallel struts and carried twin fins and rudders.
The fins were braced to the tail plane by further pairs of struts on their inner sides.
The fixed tail surfaces were again plywood covered but the control surfaces were covered in fabric.
The engines were conventionally wing mounted and the main legs and wheels of the tail wheel undercarriage retracted rearwards into cowling extensions behind them.
Main wheels were fitted with brakes.
The enclosed pilots’ compartment was over the leading edge of the wing, with a bomb aimer’s position in the nose.
There were dorsal and ventral gunner’s positions respectively over and aft of the wing, each equipped with twin machine guns.
The Z.1011 made its first flight on 2 March 1936 powered by 710 kW (950 hp) Gnome-Rhône Mistral Major RC radial engines, but these were soon replaced with 610 kW (820 hp) V-12 Isotta-Fraschini Asso XI.RCs.
17 m (55 ft 9 in)
25 m (82 ft 0 in)
78 m2 (840 sq ft)
5,700 kg (12,566 lb)
2 × Isotta-Fraschini Asso XI.RC 60° V-12, water-cooled supercharged piston, 610 kW (820 hp) each at 4,500 m (14,760 ft)