The Breda Ba.46, which first flew in 1934, was a military development of the Ba.32 8-11 seat airliner from two years earlier.
The Ba.46 was designed to fill a colonial policing role with an aircraft capable both of bombing and troop transportation.
Troop/bomb load mixtures could range from 12 men and 1,000 kg (2,200 lb) of bombs of weights 100 kg (220 lb), 250 kg (550 lb) and 500 kg (1,100 lb), up to a maximum bomb load of 2,000 kg (4,400 lb) without troops.
Both the Ba.32 and Ba.46 were three engine, cantilever low wing monoplanes with fixed, conventional undercarriages.
Since the Ba.46’s military equipment, chiefly bombs and defensive armament, raised the all up weight by some 45%, it was re engine with 650 hp (485 kW) Alfa Romeo built Bristol Pegasus radials which provided more than twice the power of the Ba.32’s Pratt and Whitney Wasp Juniors.
Wing span and area were also increased, by 12% and 22% respectively.
Other dimensions remained the same.
As a result, the Ba.46 was quicker both in level flight and particularly in the climb, reaching 5,000 m in 18 minutes rather than the B.32’s 52 minutes.
The cockpit of the Ba.46 was enclosed and the fuselage had side windows.
There were four machine gun positions, two dorsal and two ventral.
Bombs were stored internally, each weight in its own bay and above separate doors.
The Ba.46 had a braced tail plane positioned on top of the fuselage and a single fin.
The wide-spaced main wheels were spatted, the outer engines were faired with Townsend rings, the central one remaining uncovered.
The Breda Ba.46 made its first flight in 1934, by which time the company’s focus had moved to more modern, retractable undercarriage and single purpose bomber designs for European wars, there was no further development.