The Blohm & Voss Ha 142 was a German four engine long distance monoplane, developed to meet a Luft Hansa requirement for its transatlantic airmail service.
The first of several prototypes flew on 11 October 1938 and they saw some service in other roles during the Second World War.
The Ha 142 was a landing gear equipped version of the Blohm & Voss Ha 139 seaplane, originally developed under the company name of Hamburger Flugzeugbau.
Like its predecessor, it had four engines mounted on a low inverted gull monoplane wing, high horizontal stabilizer, and a double vertical tail.
The wing center section was strengthened by a typical Blohm & Voss cross-girder which consisted of a large diameter pipe.
This transverse tube also acted as a fuel tank.
The centre wing was metal covered while the outer wings were fabric covered.
There were six hydraulically operated flaps in the mid wing.
The fuselage was of metal and had an approximately circular cross section.
Each main landing gear leg had dual wheels and was fully retractable, as was the tail wheel.
The landing gear was hydraulically lowered and retracted.
Four prototypes V1-V4, were built.
These aircraft were trialled by Lufthansa and used briefly in the postal service.
However, the outbreak of World War II ended further development of the civilian project.
Soon after the start of World War II, it was proposed to convert the four prototypes to long-range maritime patrol aircraft.
V2 underwent a trial modification.
It was fitted with an extended nose section with extensive glazing, defensive armament, a compartment for ordnance in the fuselage and navigation and military radio equipment.
The company had by now been renamed as the Blohm & Voss aircraft division, so the converted aircraft was redesignated the BV 142 V2/U1 while the V1 was similarly converted.
Both were used operationally from late 1940 and were posted to the Luftwaffe’s second surveillance Group.
This unit was assigned to the operations staff of Luftflotte III in France.
However, their performance was disappointing and after only a few missions they were withdrawn from service in 1942.
Aircraft V3 and V4 were used as transport aircraft for the occupation of Denmark and in the Norway campaign with the KGr.z.b.V. 105 and could transport 30 fully equipped soldiers over 4,000 km (2,490 mi).
The ultimate fate of V3 and V4 is unknown.
It was later planned to use the V1 and V2 to carry the Henschel GT 1200C guided torpedo, the plan was cancelled.
(BV 142 V2/U1)
20.48 m (67 ft 2 in)
29.53 m (96 ft 11 in)
4.44 m (14 ft 7 in)
130 m2 (1,400 sq ft)
11,080 kg (24,427 lb)
Max take-off weight
16,560 kg (36,509 lb)
4 × BMW 132H-1,
9-cylinder Air cooled radial piston engines,
647 kW (868 hp) each for take-off
3 bladed variable pitch propeller.
373 km/h (232 mph, 201 kn) at sea level
325 km/h (202 mph, 175 kn) at 2,000 m (6,562 ft)
3,900 km (2,400 mi, 2,100 nmi) maximum with no bomb load