The Bloch MB.170 and its derivatives were French reconnaissance bombers designed and built shortly before the Second World War.
They were the best aircraft of this type available to the Armée de l’Air at the outbreak of the war, with speed, altitude and manoeuvrability that allowed them to evade interception by the German fighters.
Although the aircraft could have been in service by 1937, debate over what role to give the aircraft delayed deliveries until 1940.
Too few in number to affect the Battle of France, they continued in service with the Vichy forces after the armistice.
The first prototype, equipped as reconnaissance aircraft, powered by Gnome-Rhône 14N-06 engines.
The second prototype, equipped as light bomber, powered by Gnome-Rhône 14N-06 engines.
The original MB.174 prototype, powered by Gnome-Rhône 14N-49 engines.
Original production version, powered by Gnome-Rhône 14N-49 engines.
The original MB.175 prototype, powered by Gnome-Rhône 14N-48 engines.
Second production version, plus 56 unarmed aircraft for the Luftwaffe, powered by Gnome-Rhône 14N-48 engines.
Post-war torpedo bomber version for the Aeronavale.
MB.176 / MB.176.01
The original MB.176 prototype, powered by two Pratt & Whitney R-1830 SC 3-G Twin Wasp engines
Single prototype, powered by two Hispano-Suiza 12Y-31 inline engines.
Further development, construction halted by arrival of German forces.