/ Blackburn B-54/YA-7 & B-88/YB-1
Blackburn B-54/YA-7 & B-88/YB-1
The Blackburn B-54 and B-88 were prototype carrier-borne anti-submarine warfare aircraft of the immediate post-Second World War era developed for the Royal Navy’s Fleet Air Arm.
They shared a conventional monoplane design with a mid-mounted inverted-gull wing and tricycle undercarriage.
The pilot and observer sat in tandem under a long canopy atop the fuselage.
The B-54 had a piston engine while the B-88 had a gas turbine driving large contra-rotating propellers.
The radar scanner was mounted in a retractable radome in the rear fuselage, behind a long internal weapons bay.
The program was cancelled in favour of the Fairey Gannet aircraft.
intended to take Napier Naiad engine, converted to YA.7 before completion.
YA.5 airframe with Rolls-Royce Griffon 56 engine, one prototype WB781, first flown 20 September 1949.
Three-seat version with a Griffon 56 engine (later changed to Griffon 57), one prototype WB788 first flown 3 May 1950.
YA.8 with Armstrong Siddeley Double-Mamba engine, one prototype WB797 first flown 19 July 1950.
42 ft 8 in (13.00 m)
44 ft 2 in (13.46 m)
16 ft 9 in (5.11 m)
13,091 lb (5,938 kg)
1 × Armstrong Siddeley ASMD.1 Double Mamba coupled turboprop engine,
2,950 shp (2,200 kW)
8 bladed contra-rotating constant speed, fully-feathering propeller
320 mph (510 km/h, 280 kn)
Bombs or depth charges in internal weapons bay.
Share on facebook
Follow us on