The Berliner-Joyce P-16 was a 1930s United States two-seat fighter aircraft
During 1931, the USAAC ordered the Berliner-Joyce YP-16 which had the distinction of being the last biplane fighter to enter service with the USAAC.
In addition, the P-16 remained the only two-seat biplane fighter to be produced for the army after 1918.
Delivered in 1932 as the Y1P-16 primarily equipping the 94th Pursuit Squadron, the production aircraft were later re-designated PB-1 (Pursuit-Biplane, an awkward designation for a class of aircraft and only applied to one other type, the Consolidated PB-30).
Without the prototype’s supercharger, performance at altitude was appreciably reduced although the aircraft had a greater endurance than contemporary single-seat pursuits.
Despite the gullwing, pilots had poor visibility over the nose which contributed to service pilots having a propensity to nose-over on landing.
All Berliner-Joyce PB-1s were withdrawn from active service in 1934, although a small number of aircraft continued in second line duties until 1940.