/ AVRO 510
The Avro 510 was a two seat racing seaplane designed by Avro to compete in the 1914 Circuit of Britain Race.
It was a conventional two bay biplane of greatly uneven span, equipped with two large central floats and two outriggers.
The race was called off at the outbreak of the First World War, but the British Admiralty was aware of the type and ordered five examples, with modified floats and tail.
In service, these proved completely unsuitable, and it was discovered that with a second person aboard, the aircraft could barely fly.
In October 1915, the 510s in service were sent to Supermarine for modification and improvement, by March the following year all were removed from service.
38 ft 0 in (11.58 m)
63 ft 0 in (19.20 m)
564 sq ft (52.4 m2)
2,080 lb (943 kg)
2,800 lb (1,270 kg)
1 × Sunbeam Crusader V-8 water-cooled piston engine,
150 hp (110 kW)
2 bladed fixed pitch propeller
70 mph (110 km/h, 61 kn)
4 hours 30 minutes
Time to altitude
1⁄2 minutes to 1,000 ft (305 m).
Share on facebook
Follow us on