/ Armstrong Whitworth Wolf
Armstrong Whitworth Wolf
The Armstrong Whitworth Wolf was a British two seat reconnaissance aircraft ordered by the Royal Air Force in 1923.
The Wolf was a two
bay biplane of unorthodox design, with the fuselage mounted between the two sets of wings.
No production order was placed, and the three machines built served their days at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough as experimental test-beds.
Alongside the RAF’s order in 1923, Armstrong Whitworth also built two for the RAF Reserve Flying School at Whitley, and a final, sixth aircraft in 1929.
As trainers, they proved popular with pilots, although less so with ground crews for whom the rigging and undercarriage were awkward to maintain.
All Wolves were retired from service in 1931 and all but the most recently built were scrapped.
The final aircraft was taken to Hamble for use as an instructional airframe.
31 ft 0 in (9.45 m)
39 ft 10 in (12.14 m)
13 ft 0 in (3.96 m)
488 sq ft (45.3 m2)
2,690 lb (1,220 kg)
4,090 lb (1,855 kg)
1 × Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar III, 14-cylinder two row air cooled radial engine,
350 hp (260 kW)
110 mph (180 km/h, 96 kn) at 10,000 ft (3,000 m)
3 hr 45 min
15,150 ft (4,620 m)
Time to altitude
1.3 min to 1,000 ft (300 m)
6.5 min to 5,000 ft (1,500 m)
1 × fixed forward firing .303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers machine gun
1 × .303 in (7.7 mm) Lewis Gun in Scarff ring for observer.
Share on facebook
Follow us on