The Arado Ar 197 was a German World War II era biplane.
Only a few prototypes were built and the project was abandoned in favour of the Messerschmitt Bf 109T and Me 155.
The Ar 197 had its origin in the requirement for a fighter capable of operating from the planned but never completed German aircraft carriers Graf Zeppelin and Peter Strasser.
The Ar 68H had been the first Arado aircraft to have a fully enclosed cockpit, and was selected as a base design for the Arado Ar 197.
The first prototype of the Ar 197, the V1, was based on the Ar 68H and featured a fully enclosed cockpit, Daimler-Benz DB 600A inline engine, and three-blade propeller, but was not fitted for naval operations.
The second prototype, the Ar 197 V2, was similar to the V1, but was powered by a BMW 132Dc radial engine, and was fitted with naval equipment, including an arrester hook and catapult spools.
Both the Ar 197 V1 and V2 flew in the spring of 1937.
In the summer of 1937 a third prototype, the V3, was built.
It was powered by a more powerful BMW radial engine and was the first prototype fitted with weapons, being armed with two 7.92 mm (.312 in) machine guns and one 20 mm cannon.
The V3 was also fitted with racks under the fuselage which could carry four 50 kg (110 lb) bombs, an auxiliary fuel tank, or a smoke laying canister.
9.2 m (30 ft 2 in)
11 m (36 ft 1 in)
3.6 m (11 ft 10 in)
21.3 m2 (229 sq ft)
1,840 kg (4,057 lb)
2,475 kg (5,456 lb)
Max take-off weight
2,674 kg (5,895 lb)
1 × BMW 132Dc, 9-cyl air cooled radial piston engine,
656 kW (880 hp) for take-off
3 bladed fixed pitch metal propeller
400 km/h (250 mph, 220 kn) at 2,500 m (8,202 ft)
354 km/h (220 mph, 191 kn) at 1,500 m (4,921 ft)
695 km (432 mi, 375 nmi)
1,638 km (1,018 mi, 884 nmi) with auxiliary fuel tank