Close this search box.
/ Albatros L 77v
Albatros L 77v
The Albatros L 77v was a German tandem two seat reconnaissance fighter biplane, four examples of which were built under license for Albatros Flugzeugwerke by Ernst Heinkel Flugzeugwerke in 1928.
Based upon the L 76 Aeolus reconnaissance trainer, the aircraft was powered by a 450 kW (600 hp) BMW VI 5.5 water-cooled V12 engine.
Like the L 76, the L 77v had a fabric-covered welded-steel fuselage and wooden dual-spar wings with plywood skins supported by N-type struts.
It was armed with twin 7.92 mm (.312 in) machine guns in fixed forward-firing positions and a third on a ring mounting in the rear cockpit.
Three of the aircraft saw service performing armament trials in Lipetsk in the Soviet Union, these included one aircraft testing a free-mounted 20 mm cannon.
The fourth aircraft had been destroyed while undergoing tests in March 1929.
Between December 1929 and their retirement in October 1931, the surviving L 77vs were based at the Staaken Erprobungsstelle (Test Centre).
8.45 m (27 ft 9 in)
12.76 m (41 ft 10 in)
3.9 m (12 ft 10 in)
27.8 m2 (299 sq ft)
1 × BMW VI , 450 kW (600 hp)
220 km/h (140 mph, 120 kn)
2 × fixed forward firing 7.92 mm (.312 in) machine guns
1 × flexible 7.92 (.312 in) mm machine gun for observer
2 × 50 kg (110 lb) bombs.
Share on facebook
Follow us on