The Airco DH.6 was a British military trainer biplane used by the Royal Flying Corps during the First World War.
The DH.6 was specifically designed as a military trainer, at a time when it was usual for obsolete service types to be used in this role.
At least 2,282 DH.6s were built in the UK during the war, out of orders of about 3,000.
Besides Airco, batches were built by Grahame-White, Kingsbury Aviation, Harland and Wolff, Morgan, Savages, Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies, and Gloucestershire.
A single DH.6 was constructed in July 1917 by Canadian Aeroplanes Ltd. as a prototype for projected production, should supply of the Curtiss JN-4 (Can) prove inadequate, and it was the first British-designed aircraft built in Canada.
In the event, the expected shortage of “Canucks” never materialized and only one example was built.
27 ft 3 1⁄2 in (8.319 m)
35 ft 11 in (10.95 m)
10 ft 9 1⁄2 in (3.289 m)
436.25 sq ft (40.529 m2)
1,460 lb (662 kg)
2,030 lb (921 kg)
25 imp gal (30 US gal; 110 L)
1 × RAF 1a, air cooled V8 engine,
90 hp (67 kW)
70 mph (110 km/h, 61 kn)
40 mph (64 km/h, 35 kn)
2 hr 45 min
Rate of climb
225 ft/min (1.14 m/s)
1× 100 lb (45 kg) bomb
Similar load of smaller bombs could be carried on anti-submarine patrol.