AEG Wagner Eule

The AEG Wagner Eule was a German reconnaissance aircraft built in 1914 by Allgemeine Elektrizitäts Gesellschaft.

The Eule was one of a series of aircraft developed by the German electrical company AEG.

Designed by an engineer named Wagner, the single engine, two seat, mid-wing monoplane aircraft featured a fuselage of welded steel tubs with fabric covering and a wing of oak wood with fabric covering.

The fuselage measured 4.77 meters with a cross section of 110 cm x 98 cm.

The wings were tapered and featured a scalloped, bat-like trailing edge and a curving leading edge, with an overall look that was much like that of a bird or bat.

The first prototype was built with a Gnome rotary engine and was used for taxi tests.

It was engulfed in a fire during the test period when a fire broke out during a repair being made on the aircraft’s fuel tank.

The second prototype of the aircraft was equipped with either a rotary engine or an inline 4-cylinder engine from a Ford Model T.

A few short flights were carried out to test the aerodynamic characteristics of the prototype before the design was abandoned.

The unusual wing configuration was not featured in AEG’s subsequent aircraft designs, however, the welded metal framed, fabric-covered fuselage was carried forward into AEG’s B, C, and J class aircraft.

It is now on display in a building full of unrestored relics at the Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego. Krakow, Poland.

 

Share on facebook